- The City
- Discover Vinkovci
Vinkovci belongs to the northern-Croatian group of cities, which is characterized by very remarkable architectural features. The architectonic structure of the City is the product of the historic periods that this area had seen, as well as various economical and building influences, and the economic and financial strength of its inhabitants. It is a city with rich architectural heritage. Today, Vinkovci is a large city whose structure is marked by several larger squares and long main streets, which were used as the basis for urban development.
In such manner, Vinkovci is also marked by several larger parks and green public spaces, as well as an array of planned and clearly recognizable modern city quarters and settlements. Although the buildings of monumental significance have seen great destruction and damage during wars, especially the War of Independence, most of them have been restored, and the central part of Vinkovci now seems more beautiful and better designed than ever before. The central square with its prominent features of Baroque urbanism and flange sections which enclose it, represents an area of high cultural and historical, urbanistic, architectonic, stylistic and aesthetic value of Vinkovci. Within the said urban complex there is the City park which came to be during the time of municipal prefect Adolf Albrecht in 1868, through the planting of trees at the site of the military 'Paradier Platz'. In the park centre, almost since the creation of the park, stands the monument to Holy Trinity. During the time of prefect Nikola Janković, the park was enlarged and designed in the French style. The parish church was built in 1777 in the Baroque style, and received its modern appearance at the beginning of the 20th century.
The building of the Brod Municipality was designed in the Secessionist style and has two facades. The shorter one faces the square. Originally, there was a self-standing two-storey building in that place. The refit and the expansion of the building, which became the property of the Brod Municipality Forestry Administration (Authority) in 1873, began in 1909 and lasted until 1912. The building acquired its final shape around 1916. Above the entrance, in the central part of the cornice, are relief ornaments which symbolize the significance of forests and forestry in these lands. Beneath the central small tower there is a memorial plaque to Josip Runjanin, the composer of Croatian national anthem, Lijepa naša [Our Fair]. The small towers, slanted roofs and other ornaments have become the recognizable symbols of the City. The present-day building of Vinkovci City Museum is located in the western part of the square.
The construction of the two-storey building with its recognizable arches began around 1776. It represents yet another example of one of the oldest buildings in Vinkovci. The building was designed in the spirit of the Military Frontier Baroque architecture. The Grammar School building dominates the eastern part of the square. This tall three-storey building was built in 1879, for the occasion of the centenary of a grammar school in Vinkovci.
Written by: mr.sc. Vladimir Ćirić